Thursday, November 2, 2017

MAG-er

Image may contain: 2 people, people smiling, stadium and crowd
Game 6 with my dad was a blast! So fun to feel the energy and see the crowd go nuts as Dodgers won. I wore blue because I wanted California to win, but nothing that said LA (that'd be traitorous). I belted out "God Bless America" with a group of latino guys with tatted necks and faces. Boo-ed with the crowd at Yuli in retribution for his slant-eye mockery of Darvish. High fived every kind of person imaginable on the way out. It felt so American. America is all of us in this great melting pot trying to win. 
Leaving the game, our Uber driver was Uzbek and in his late 20's. I'd been traveling all day and hadn't heard of the recent attack. As we spoke, he shared openly where he was from, how he got here, his religious beliefs, his goals and dreams. He is getting his MBA, marrying an Uzbek girl soon who is in medical school back home. Impressive guy. I hope there are many more like him and less like the other.
Inscribed at the Statue of Liberty is this, "Give me your tired, your poor, Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, The wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!" MAGA? No. MAG-er. Bring 'em. They are as our fore-bearers once were.

No comments: