Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Why are cars so expensive?

My engine went kaput today (see pic). I was driving to school and heard a pop and then flopping. At first I thought a tire had blown. But after pulling over and inspecting, I discovered the tires were actually fine but oil was dripping profusely from the engine. My mechanically gifted friend, Matt Valzania, came and found a hole where he thinks a rod punched through. Why did this happen on a car with only 115K miles on it? Because I thought a 2 foot puddle was a 6 inch puddle two months ago. After that fiasco and expensive repair there was probably still residual damage that didn't rear its ugly rod face through my engine until today. I guess the good news is... uh... that the Giants won the world series last year.... and that I don't have chronically sweaty palms... and we don't live in North Korea.

Seriously, the good news is people come and help when bad things happen. Matt came straight over and helped me move the car off the freeway and diagnosed the problem and found an engine for sale that will do the trick. Bobby Lee towed me home. Matt McCallom gave me the name of a mechanic to use...

and as I was typing this all out 50 something year old Francisco (?) knocked on my door with my driver's license which apparently slipped out of my pocket while I was laying under the car. With a thick Mexican accent he explained how his mini dachshund sniffed it out on a walk and - good Samaritan that he is - he was worried about me and drove to the address on my license to make sure everything was ok and return it. I hooked him up with some wild boar meat from my latest kill and a Book of Mormon. Thanks Francisco. Thanks Francisco's weener dog. Thanks Jesus.

No comments: