Monday, December 17, 2007

Purpose of Blogs, Purpose of All?


What is the point of blogs anyways? I thought it was to make an entry that is somewhat thought provoking and people read it and post comments expressing their opinion on the post. So let me know what you think a blog is for.


As far as I've seen, my friends who have gotten married seem to graduate from myspace and facebook into the world of blogging. They post their wedding shots and pictures of their babies. Its like an online photo album. Or families will put up their trips and showcase whatever it is they are doing. I look at blogs like that and its all kind of the same. Like they borrowed the same photos doing the same activities and pasted their heads in. I hope this blog is more than a photo album.



Does anyone really do anything original in life, I wonder? We just take turns doing the same things. Go on vacations visiting the same sights. What is unique about your trip to France or Thailand or Hawaii? The best part of life isn't the things we have or do. Even ideas are hardly unique if you believe that all truth comes from God. We just recycle the same stuff in different words. "Then I looked on all the works that my hands had wrought, and on the labour that I had laboured to do: and, behold, all was vanity and vexation of spirit, and there was no profit under the sun." (Bible, Eccl. 2:11) We are such a neophiliatic society, always looking for the next new thing. Like the Ecclesiastic I believe there is nothing new under the sun. So again I ask- what is the point of a blog? Is anything truly unique?



I think uniqueness exists. People are unique inherently. Whether you try or not you will be wholly singular. There is an inherent combination of qualities and attributes that only you have. On top of that your combined experiences will develop you and be unique to you. So the most interesting, unique thing out there is a person. People never get old. I will never fully understand others, especially women! Always new things with friends and family. Our relationships in families, groups, societies, nations, etc. will always be new and interesting. In serving others and getting involved with them I find the greatest satisfaction and fulfillment in this life. So I hope in some way this blog can help others and express my uniqueness and help me understand yours. Or at least satisfy your craving for something new every once in a while.



I'm even bored with surfing these days.







4 comments:

Phil said...

i think if one is motivated by a desire to 'change the world' or 'be remembered', depression and disappointment may result as we realize our lives won't likely be discussed or remembered after we're gone. i think the only deep lasting happiness comes from loving, serving, and enjoying those around us. building and investing in long-term relationships with friends and family. continually learning and progressing. i believe those things will endure into the next life. regarding the 'typical' blog sites, i've never quite understood the rationale behind emailing a bunch of pictures of myself and family, unsolicited, out to people i otherwise rarely even see or talk to. look at me! look at me! what's that all about anyway, i guess people like to know what we're up to but i sort of doubt it - when i went to italy i took pictures for my own pleasure and rememberence, not to shotgun them out to the world. just my opinion

The H Factor said...

Anyone who names their blog "Esse Quam Videri" is totally original, and totally has style. I appreciate your deep thinking and interesting insights. When I sit down to write a blog entry, I simply think, I wonder how I could get a laugh. Not so original.

Ryan....you don't just seem the man, you are the man.

Designing Woman said...

Well, not only have a stocked you on facebook, now I have moved to your blog. I am sick. Anyway, since you are new to the blogging world I will give you a little nugget of wisdom that I have learned from all my months of blogging....ALWAYS include a pic, even if its not really necessary for the post. It keeps the reader focused and gives them something to look at, if they get bored of your writing (not that anyone would get tired of yours, but I know I HAVE to include a pic :)...Good luck, and welcome. PS: designingwoman-krystle.blogspot.com

Rebecca said...

Ryan- I just realized you have a blog! Wow- impressive read. Sounds like you are doing some serious thinking about things are of real value. Great post- very insightful.